What is a child residence order? (child arrangement order) - Costs & how to apply

Originally published on 9th January 2019 at 5:45 PM
Reading time: 4 mins
Link copied to clipboard

What is a child residence order?

‘Child residence orders’ and ‘contact orders’ are now referred to as ‘child arrangement orders’ in England and Wales. Such orders can outline where your children live and how you’ll share their care. The court operates a ‘no order principal’ which means they won't make an order (for residency or anything else with regards to children) unless there is just cause. So, you will need to show there is a reason for needing an order.

How do I get a child residence order?

To make an application for a child arrangements order in England or Wales, you will need to apply to the court under The Children’s Act (1989). Applying for residence orders may differ in other parts of the UK.

You will have to show the court that you have attended a meeting known as a MIAM (mediation information and assessment meeting) and show that mediation hasn’t worked to resolve the issue you are having.

In certain circumstances, you don’t need to attend a MIAM before making an application (where there has been domestic abuse, or the Local Authority are involved with your family).

You can apply via post or online. An example of the C100 form can be downloaded below.

Can I apply for a child arrangement order online?

Yes, you can apply for a child arrangements order, formerly known as the child residence order, through the government website.

Does a child arrangement order remove parental responsibility?

The short answer is no. A residence order, UK court-assigned, doesn't remove responsibility from the parent.

No matter which parent the children or child will live with, both still have a say in big decisions related to their life.

A residency court order automatically awards parent responsibility to the individual or individuals named on it as being allowed to have residency of their children.

However, it doesn't remove the shared responsibility that both partners have over their children.

Concerning Registered Births in England and Wales:

If the parents are married at the time when their child or children are born or they adopted them as a couple, they automatically hold parental responsibility.

Even after a divorce is finalised, neither parent needs to apply to retain this responsibility.

What about unmarried parents?

There are three ways all unmarried fathers of children whose births were registered in England or Wales, can obtain parental responsibility:

1. Applying for a court-assigned order

2. Obtaining an unofficial responsibility agreement through the mother of the child

3. (Following 1st December 2003) registering the child’s birth alongside the mother

These laws are only applicable to England and Wales. They may vary in Scotland and Northern Ireland.

How much does a residence order cost?

Once you have done the MIAM stage you will need to fill in a C100 form and pay a fee of £215. The cost of the MIAM stage may vary and will be free if you qualify for legal aid. The court will then arrange for a court social worker (CAFCASS) to speak to you and your partner on the telephone and the social worker will submit a report to the court.

The court will then order a first hearing and you and your partner will be required to attend and speak to the judge. There will then be a series of hearings to determine whether to grant the order or whether any other order is required. You may also be required to attend further mediation between hearings.

How long does a child residence order last?

Generally speaking, a child residence order or child arrangement order is not permanent and will only usually last until:

  • The child named in the residence order reaches 16 years old.
  • In special circumstances when the child named in the order of residence is 18 years old iii) A new order has been made by the family court.
  • The old order has been discharged by the court.
  • The child’s parents are living together for six months following the residence order being made.

You may like to consider asking a specially trained solicitor to help you - if you need any further advice, we're happy to book a 15-minute divorce advice call with you.

Child residence orders and contact orders are now referred to as ‘Child Arrangement Orders’ in England and Wales. The court operates a ‘no order principal’ which means they won't make an order (for residency or anything else with regards to children) unless there is just cause. So, you will need to show there is a reason for needing an order.

Book a co-parenting coaching session


Does a residence order give parental responsibility?

No, as highlighted above, your parental responsibility is not affected by a child residence order (now referred to as a child arrangements order).

What is the difference between a child arrangement order and a residence order?

The child arrangement order was formerly known as the child residence order and was replaced in 2014.

What reasons would a judge change residence order?

If circumstances change, which affect the terms of the order.

Related Content:


Co-parenting advice

Speak to an amicable Coach for help transitioning from parents to co-parents.

Book a free 15-minute call

Comments (0)

By clicking submit you accept our privacy policy.
Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.